March 19, 2011

Luna lux nox


        The night of the Moon. . . tonight the Moon is closer to the Earth than it has been in 18 years. In addition to this it is also full to the brim with an almost eerie brightness.




        To add to the excitement I also captured a Luna Moth in perfect condition. I took this picture of her (yes it is female) with the enormous Moon in the background. Once upon a time I studied Entomology quite seriously and went to "Bug Camp" every summer when I was in high-school. So, as soon as I caught the beautiful creature I quickly paralyzed it so it would not flutter about and ruin it's lovely wings.





        I took a picture with it in my hand for scale. It's a little small, but it is probably one of the first Luna Moths of the year. Hopefully I will acquire a massive sized male this year. I only have only ever had a few small or average sized females.


      

       
        I plan on spreading, pinning, and preserving the insect to place in a shadow box. Like the one pictured on the right. These two moths are actually just about the same size. Anyway, once placed in the shadow box I will sprinkle a little bit of moth ball dust inside to keep tiny microscopic bugs from eating the delicate wings. Then I will probably give it to which ever one of my sisters reads this first and claims the specimen.


        After capturing the moth Lath asked me what their purpose was. As in - what do Luna Moth's do? I said that they hatch, eat, live, breed, lay eggs, and then die. So he replied, "Oh. So all they are for is lookin' pretty?" To which I replied, "Yes."






No comments:

Post a Comment